Each new year brings new possibilities. Here are a few questions I am asking myself that I thought you might just want to ask yourselves too, hopefully helping us to have a positive start to 2015!
- Are you happy? How many times in our lives do we actually stop and take a minute to ask ourselves if we are truly happy? We are always so eager to please the people around us that somehow our own happiness becomes less of a priority, unfair but true. Yes granted it is not realistic to be happy 100% of the time, but in general, are you happy?
- If you are not happy what are you going to do about it? So, you have decided you aren’t happy for one reason or another, now what are you going to do about it? Live through 2015 unhappy with your situation, brush it to the side and hope that one day you can learn to be satisfied and content OR decide that you deserve to be happy in this life, give yourself a shake and go make the changes you know need to be made. The desire to be happy isn’t selfish, it is natural and we all deserve to feel true happiness in this crappy world. I spent a lot of time being unhappy and the minute I decided that actually I deserved to smile just as much as the next person, my life changed in ways I never thought possible.
- What have you always wanted to do, but never got around to doing? I have always wanted to learn a second language, have I ever got around to actually learning any? No. “There is always next year” I will tell myself and it will be put to the side, left behind and forgotten yet again. Is there always going to be another year though? Yes, I am in my twenties so by law of averages I will probably live to see another year, but should I take the future for granted like this? One day we won’t have the luxury of fulfilling our dreams and desires, so why do we constantly wait? This year I am going to actually do the things I have been putting off.
- Are the grudges worth keeping? I know I have held onto a fair few grudges in my life and I can be almost positive most of you will be holding a grudge with someone too. I have decided to ask myself two questions; is this person worth the energy it’s taking to hold this grudge? Is it time I put the past behind us and made amends? Holding a grudge against someone is draining, it takes so much energy to dislike a person and hold onto whatever it was that hurt you in the first place. I am going to decide this new year if it is better to erase this person from my mind and stop allowing the hurt to eat me from the inside OR is it time I put the past behind me and tried to re-build these broken relationships. Either way I will be attempting to start 2015 grudge free!
- What do you want from 2015? This is the most important of all! Every year we think about what we are going to do in the year ahead, diet, join a gym, quit smoking and the list goes on. This year I am going to decide what I want from the year ahead, not stress about how I am going to achieve it or what I am going to do to get there, for now simply decide what I want and fully believe with all my heart it can and will happen. Let’s choose to start our year with a confident, positive mindset and then, when an opportunity arises to achieve what we first wanted, jump at it!
I am planning to ask myself these questions before the New Year and probably throughout it, I think taking some time to reflect on life, desires and relationships is a great thing to do every now and then. Don’t you?